About three months ago we bought a Vitamix blender, and we haven’t looked back. We use it every chance we get! Even just to show off the soup function which can heat water with friction. That’s our fun party trick, don’t judge.
The biggest change we have experienced since owning our Vitamix is the influx in smoothies we drink, especially in the morning. We used to be cereal people, and we went through litres of milk each week. Now we are smoothie folk, and I figure the money we save in milk makes it really no more expensive. Even if it was more expensive, it would be worth it.
We feel better physically, and I am happier knowing JP and I are getting the vitamins and minerals we need. We switch up the ingredients each day, for variety, but two things stay pretty much the same: hemp protein powder, and gelatin. I thought I would share what I have learned about both of these powerful ingredients, so you can benefit from them too.
Hemp Protein Powder
- 100% plant based
- free of dairy, gluten, and soy
- inflammation fighting
- contains omega-6 essential fatty acids, vitamins, chlorophyll, fibre and calcium
- 15g of protein per serving (2 Tbsp)
I’m currently using this Canadian brand.
Collagen Hydrolysate (Gelatin)
- A dissolvable form of gelatin
- regulates metabolism
- quickly absorbed
- repairs supporting connective tissue (bone, tendons, ligaments, cartilage, skin, hair, and nails)
- contains amino acids such as glycine, lysine, and proline
- 6g of protein per serving (1 Tbsp)
- Note: from what I have read, grass fed gelatin is recommended
I’m currently using this brand. (Coupon/Discount code*: BTV377 for $5-10 off of your first order).
If you are interested in learning more about gelatin, this topic (among others) will be touched on during the Wellness Family Summit — a free online summit occurring October 13-20th, 2014. You can learn more and/or register here.
For the curious….
Morning Smoothie Recipe
- 1 apple
- 1 banana
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 handful kale
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup frozen raspberries
- approx. 1 cup water (depending on how thick you’d like it)
- 1 Tbsp gelatin
- 1 Tbsp hemp protein powder
Have you ever tried hemp protein powder or gelatin?
*A note about iHerb: I receive a small percentage of the purchase price. Thank you for your support! You will receive a coupon code of your own after ordering.